Friday, July 11, 2008

No elephants, but Frogs and Monkeys



I'm sitting in the 5th hospital room that Brooklyn's had since yesterday. I should go ahead and apologize for not letting you all know that what type of surgery she was having....I know a lot of you had asked me about that and it hadn't of even crossed my mind until you then. So I will start at the beginning with this blog and hopefully catch everyone up to speed.
Brooklyn suffers (hopefully that should now be suffered) from sleep apnea. This is usually "cured" in children by removing the tonsils and adenoids. Brooklyn came in yesterday and had a pretty good surgery but a pretty crappy recovery. She woke up in a lot of pain. A LOT. Her blood pressure got a little high and her oxygen stats were a little low sporadically. After about 3 1/2 hours she was moved out of recovery and into a room. Which, from what they told me, was quite a bit longer than they usually keep them in recovery. She did pretty well except when she had to taste the liquid loritab for the first time. It was actually a pretty funny moment. She was determined to take the medicine by herself and after she took a small drink she was very hesitant to take another. She still held onto the medicine however. Within 5 min she was so loopy and irritable from the meds that she was pushing us away and drifting off to la la land. Super cute. We were discharged a bit later and Brooklyn was seeming better every second. She was talking and eating things like ice cream, Popsicles, mashed potatoes and even noodles. She was drinking and by her urine output she was doing awesome. The sweetest thing was when she played doctor and I was the patient who was getting surgery. She replayed the entire day's events and continued to talk to me about how I would be okay and what I would experience. There were other moments that were truly amazing. Like the stuffed frog Mommy got her as a surprise friend to take home after surgery. She named him Froggy and said he just had the same surgery she did. It's been so sweet to see her act out her emotions this way. All in all we were all very happy with the outcome yesterday. Brooklyn went to bed about 9 and slept soundly until I woke her up for her 1:30am meds. She drank her medicine the best she had and even took in a good amount of Gatorade. She fell right back to sleep and so did I!! I was sleeping on her floor so I was a bit nervous that I wasn't going to be able to. Besides waking up with a stiff neck, I slept really well. We woke up at 5:30 to take another round of meds but this time didn't go as well. Brooklyn was in quite a bit of pain but she went back to sleep easily. At about 8:45 Brooklyn woke up with a lot of pain and no interest in food, drink or even talking for that matter. Pretty soon after she started puking and it was pretty easy to see it was blood. I called the Dr.'s office pretty sure they would say it was normal and to keep an eye on her ... or at least to come in to get checked out and go home. The nurse from the surgeons office said this wasn't normal and to come in. I still wasn't concerned at this point. Within 30 seconds of getting off the phone she called back and said, "Your surgeon said to call 911." .....seriously?? So I was super calm, telling B she was going to get to ride in the ambulance. All the FD and EMT guys who came were AWESOME! Such a great group of public servants. Truly! Brooklyn had low blood pressure and was tachycardic when she got into the ambulance. She had to have her sugar checked and wanted me to do it. So here I am in the back of the ambulance bouncing up and down, back and forth trying to poke my daughters teeny little finger with a spring loaded mini needle. Whew, props to all the EMT's for the million of things they can do in such conditions. Her sugar was fine. Once we were in the ER we were told she would be admitted for the night at least. They had to put an IV in after that and Brooklyn had to have 5 nurses and myself holding her down. She was screaming and kicking. At one point she said "People, People, if you would quit holding me down I will not kick you." It was crazy. Finally she calmed down after that and eventually we were taken to another room. Brooklyn's been resting comfortably since then. She hasn't been able to eat or drink in case they have to take her back to the OR so that has dried her lips out....other than that and of course the throat pain, she is doing wonderful. A lot better than earlier. I don't think I've seen anyone so cold and clammy but sweaty and out of it. Scott was working today so I was by myself with B for the majority of this morning. I held it together for most all of it. While she was getting the IV, I struggled but maintained. After that, I called Scott and requested a "break" to go shower and get Brooklyn some stuff from the house. I needed to get out a good cry! Scott was engineering and THANKFULLY, SELFISHLY left in order to be with us for a few hours and to let me get a shower. I also stopped to get Brooklyn a new hospital friend from this visit (it's tradition to adopt a stuffed animal to love every hospital visit. He is a super soft Monkey whose name Brooklyn decided was.....you guessed it, MONKEY! Very soon he will be coming back to the hospital and bringing me a diet coke and our family will have our first hospital slumber party! B already has the slumbering down!
Keep sending your positive energy our way..... Brooklyn definitely needs it.

No comments: