Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Let there be elephants.

Tomorrow is surgery day and it seems to have approached at lightening speed. We have to be at the Children's Hospital at 8 am with a surgery start of about 10 am. Brooklyn is handling it all very well. The last week she's actually been excited about it because she knows she will get to eat ice cream and watch cartoons all day. These are two things that are limited in our house and the fact that those limits will get thrown out the window for awhile has been the "highlight" of this surgery for her. I decided this week I needed to let her know about some of the things that weren't so exciting. She has known that her throat will be sore and she won't have a voice for a couple of days but that's about the extent of it. So I talked with her about the fact that she will be in some pain, sleeping a lot and about the IV which is the biggest fear she has right now. I've heard the Children's Hospital is good with this sort of thing so I'm hoping the IV process will be joined with a mini circus of monkeys on tricycles and miniature elephants running through her room.....or at the very least, a puppet show to distract her.
Thankfully, I'm off until Monday and then I will be working from home until the 28th. I'm blessed to have such an accomadating job. After that my mom is coming down for the week. Brooklyn will go back to Indiana for a few days after that and when she gets back she will be starting first grade!! I can't believe my baby will be a first grader. She's still so little and I just realized that she will start her senior year when she is 16! So far she is doing great with school but sometimes I worry that's too young and she should stay back a year. As long as she is emotionally and mentally up for it I won't worry too much however.
Brooklyn lost her first tooth on Sunday. When she went to the doctor last week they said they would have to pull it before the surgery if it hadn't come out. Saturday night I pulled on it but only popped a root so we decided to try again on Sunday. Well, one pull the next day and it came right out. Brooklyn was so proud and excited. The tooth fairy left her money and a note which made her feel pretty special. She said the tooth fairy told her to keep taking good care of her teeth because she does such a good job and she's right! She's always been great with that. Brooklyn is great all around and that area is no different!
Well, today is prep day for mom. I have laundry and other chores to get done before tomorrow. I've always handled my nerves well until whatever makes me nervous approaches. So, I should be good today but tomorrow I will be a ball of jelly. I'm sure I will be fine until they take her off to surgery.....then I might need the miniature elephants.

No comments: